• Core Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: +Windower Developers
  • Name: Ayrea
  • Server: Ragnarok
  • Linkshell: TwoPaths

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hello folks.

Today, we're opening up Windower 4.0 to a public beta. Some of you may remember the old v4 project, which at the time was a complete rewrite of Windower and all the plugins. That project has been long since abandoned; Windower 4.0 is based on the current 3.4 code base. What this means to you is that all of the plugins you currently use will work fine as-is, no needing to learn new systems. Please note that this is a beta, there may be issues. If anything breaks, let us know so we can get it fixed up asap.

Launcher/Core/Plugins
So far with Windower, updating existing plugins or installing new plugins involved checking our forums periodically for updates or new releases. As a result, new plugins didn't get much exposure, and bugfixes were never picked up by users. This changes with the new Windower launcher. The launcher will update all of your plugins and the Windower hook automatically, making sure you're using the latest and greatest version of everything we have available. You'll also notice that the launcher has a Plugins menu. This lists all of the available Windower plugins, along with what they do. One click will automatically download and set up the plugins and any necessary files (settings, resources, etc). Launcher also uses google analytics to give us an idea of plugin usage, so we know where to concentrate our efforts. Don't worry, no personal identifying information is collected. An opt-out option is available in the installer to disable analytics collection.

The Windower core and plugins have also had some changes. You'll notice that Recast is no longer available, this has been replaced by the Timers plugin, which supports a graphical mode in addition to the old text-based recast mode. Buff duration support is currently in-progress, but the current version is available to download as a replacement for Recast.

Core has some changes as well. The new //video command allows your to record video directly from Windower. We've also fixed a few outstanding issues that affected text boxes and rendering, particularly on ATI cards.

IPC/WindowerHelper
For the developer types around, we have a few new additions that may be of interest to you. First off is that Windower now natively supports IPC. This means that plugins and addons(more on that later) can communicate with other Windower instances natively, without requiring a third-party program to act as mediator. This is relatively new and is only used by the Send addon right now, but we expect to see a lot of interesting functionality come from this.

Next up is some changes to how Windower communicates with third-party programs. There is a new WindowerHelper DLL(http://windower.net/...rhelper-4.0.zip) that you will need to use any existing programs with Windower. As a result of this change, a lot of long-standing issues with third-party programs have been resolved and are no longer applicable, such as the 8-argument maximum to commands, as well as the inability to pick up commands fired in rapid succession.

Reporting Issues
We're using github to track issues and request improvements. The public issue tracker can be found here: https://github.com/W...r/Issues/issues

The next set of changes is mostly applicable to the developer types, so if that's not your thing, feel free to skip to the end for the download link and try out Windower 4.0

Lua/Addon API
Finally, we have Lua. Since the projects inception, Windower has always been a closed off environment for developers. That is no longer the case. Lua is now integrated into Windower, allowing anyone to write scripts and addons. Scripts act like the .txt files currently run via //exec, with the exception that they can use logic and flow control in their execution. For example, you can now write a script that will check your party for the lowest health target and issue a cure command.

Addons are Lua scripts that are loaded and stay loaded indefinitely (or until unloaded by the user). They respond to commands or events, and indeed use the same callbacks that plugins do for handling these things. What this means is that anyone can now write an addon to do basically anything you want. Had an idea for a plugin but weren't able to do anything about it? Write an addon for it!

Why Lua and not just expose the C++ plugin API you ask? Well, two main reasons. First off, C++ isn't the friendliest language to deal with. Working with FFXI tends to be pretty heavy on string manipulation, which is one area where C++ unceremoniously fails. Additionally, the barrier to entry for Lua is much lower than a relatively low-level language like C++. Second, having addons in Lua eliminates the chance for a developer to disappear and leave a project un-maintained. Since everything is Lua code, anyone can come in and pick up development when the original developer leaves.

Lua addons and scripts are managed through our Lua github project: https://github.com/Windower/Lua
Our Lua Wiki has plenty of information to get you started on addon development: http://dev.windower....d=dev:lua:start

Enough should be already exposed in the API to develop quite a few things, but I'm adding more every day. If there's some functionality missing that you need, be sure to ask so I can get to it right away. The Lua project has a public issues tracker that can be used for submitting enhancement requests or bugs. Note that addons get their own directory, so it doesn't end up the cluttered mess that the plugins folder has become. Since this is a public GitHub project, anyone can contribute, just fork the repository, make your changes, and submit a pull request.

Additionally, Lua addons will be featured in the launcher in a similar method to plugins. This is, however, still in progress at the moment, so for the time being you'll need to download addons manually.

Getting Started
Download Windower 4.0 here: http://windower.net/Windower4Setup.exe

Remember to visit the Plugins menu in the new launcher and install/active any plugins you want to use.
XI-Util - Gear Collection, Pricer, Augmented Search, G510 Support + more
“You Can’t Believe Most of the What You Read on the Internet” - Abraham Lincoln

#2 User is offline   EonsTimE 

• Trainee
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Checked it out for a bit, in general it works fine. Here are some of my comments:

1) When installing as an upgrade from previous version, would t be possible to import current plugin settings? Also, if installing in the same folder as previous version, maybe make a backup of the folder beforehand? I've installed v4 in a new location and copy-pasted relevant stuff, but your average Port Jeuno dweller might encounter some issues.

2) When using vanilla V4 before I've copied my stuff I've noticed typing in in-game commands ie. //cure4 //warp etc started as green text and I had to hit [Enter] twice to confirm. After first [Enter] text changed color from green to white, after second [Enter], the command gets executed. In v3.5 you need to hit enter only once. Kinda important to me, since I like to type in spells manually when playing mage jobs, especially in Voidwatch. This issue has vanished after I've copied over my plugin settings, so it was probably one of plugins, or something? Edit: Nevermind, it's IME plugin, gonna check it out more! I've been learning JP a bit, so being able to type in JP on EU client gonna be avesome, ty!

3) I dualbox and load plugins and plugin settings depending which character name logs.

<register event="login_Charactername" silent="true">
load IME;
load LightLuggage;
load TParty;
load Distance;
load Recast;
//load TimeStamp;
load DrawDistance;
load SSOrganizer;
load ConsoleBG;
//load Logger;
load StatusTimer;
load Silence;
load Attainment;
load spellcast;
load blinkmenot;
load cancel;
load yarnball;
load text;
load chatmon;
load pettp;
load binder;
wait 5;
.ll profile charactername;
.yarnball Pos 880 860;
.yarnball FontSize 9;
.yarnball DncAF 1;
.yarnball BarElement 300;
    	</register>

If I remove plugin references in v4 from init.txt and settings.xml, those plugins are marked as inactive in v4 launcher.
Would it be possible to implement support for launching different instances with different plugin configs, different resolutions etc? Ie. I want my main window to run ad 1280x720, but my mule can run at 640x40 with less plugins loaded and different LightLuggage profile set etc.

4) Game still crashes if both my logged characters stand in Port Jeuno close together for too long. It has probably something to do with too many character models being displayed at once etc. It happens only in port Jeuno for me.
Windover v3.5 was crashing and I was getting a message "Graphics driver has crashed", but v4 crashed without Windows7 displaying that message.
Podpis problemu:
  Nazwa zdarzenia problemu:	APPCRASH
  Nazwa aplikacji:	pol.exe
  Wersja aplikacji:	1.18.13.0
  Sygnatura czasowa aplikacji:	4e3bcddc
  Nazwa modułu z błędem:	d3d8.dll
  Wersja modułu z błędem:	6.1.7600.16385
  Sygnatura czasowa modułu z błędem:	4a5bd9a7
  Kod wyjątku:	c0000005
  Przesunięcie wyjątku:	00058eac
  Wersja systemu operacyjnego:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Identyfikator ustawień regionalnych:	1045
  Dodatkowe informacje 1:	0a9e
  Dodatkowe informacje 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Dodatkowe informacje 3:	0a9e
  Dodatkowe informacje 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have Win7, Core i7 and GTX670.

This post has been edited by EonsTimE: 10 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

#3 User is offline   kodoku 

• Group: New Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm very excited by the Lua scripting functionality, so I'm testing it out now. I was surprised that even file I/O seems to work. Problem is with file locations. I'd like to write a simple file for my addon to use, but writing to a file with no path actually puts it in the FF11 installation directory. Is there a way to get the Windower install directory from within a Lua script, so I can put it where it belongs?

#4 User is offline   aureus 

• Core Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostEonsTimE, on 10 March 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

2) When using vanilla V4 before I've copied my stuff I've noticed typing in in-game commands ie. //cure4 //warp etc started as green text and I had to hit [Enter] twice to confirm. After first [Enter] text changed color from green to white, after second [Enter], the command gets executed. In v3.5 you need to hit enter only once. Kinda important to me, since I like to type in spells manually when playing mage jobs, especially in Voidwatch. This issue has vanished after I've copied over my plugin settings, so it was probably one of plugins, or something?

That's the IME plugin. If you don't need to type in japanese, I suggest unloading it.

#5 User is offline   EonsTimE 

• Trainee
  • Pip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postaureus, on 10 March 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

That's the IME plugin. If you don't need to type in japanese, I suggest unloading it.

Well, that's the thing, I'm interestd in using it. Is it based on ATOK, MS_IME or something else? Is there somewhere a list of toggle buttons for it? Tried Shift+CapsLock and Ctrl+CapsLock and other keys, but can't seem to change the mode. Sorrty to be a pain if it has been explained somewhere, but I haven't seen any posts so far.

#6 User is offline   kodoku 

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Something I just noticed as I was starting the game is that sometimes TParty errors while loading. "TParty encountered a fatal error and must be terminated. Error: Access violation in PreRender method."
This seems to happen reliably when autoloading it and it loads before the title screen comes up, but it actually just happened to me once while trying to load it via the console after logged into my character, too.

#7 User is offline   Landsoul 

• Padawan
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Was wondering since using LUA does starting 2x Windower on v4 still have issues having 2 characters online with the chat log when 2boxing or would that issue be resovlved in windower v4?

#8 User is offline   Iryoku 

• Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: +Plugin Developers
  • Name: Iryoku
  • Server: Quetzalcoatl
  • Jobs: PLD99 MNK99 SMN99
  • Race: Elvaan Male

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostEonsTimE, on 10 March 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Well, that's the thing, I'm interestd in using it. Is it based on ATOK, MS_IME or something else? Is there somewhere a list of toggle buttons for it? Tried Shift+CapsLock and Ctrl+CapsLock and other keys, but can't seem to change the mode. Sorrty to be a pain if it has been explained somewhere, but I haven't seen any posts so far.

The IME plugin has a long history of being difficult to set up and use. It's not a new plugin by any means; it's been around for something like 8 years. All the plugin does is enable FFXI's built-in IME on english clients. This then defers to the OS's currently enabled IME for all of its functionality. However, because FFXI is not Unicode-aware, the system local must be set to Japanese in order for it to function.

#9 User is offline   Esvedium 

• PipPipPip
  • Name: Esvedium
  • Server: Phoenix

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I can't find where in the launcher to change the background resolution for the game. I tried with supersampling both off and on, and while the game looks really good, my laptop can't handle it running with double background resolution (not sure if double, but it looks like it is), so then I'm stuck at ~19fps in my moghouse, standing there naked, not doing anything. I tried changing it in the vanila ffxi config, but that didn't do anything.

I'm also back to getting an error when doing a /shutdown without unloading all my plugins. Not a big deal, just hadn't seen it in a long time while back on 3.4x

This post has been edited by Esvedium: 10 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Conviction is a more dangerous enemy of truth than lies.

#10 User is offline   FFXIPlayer 

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

oh wow this looks great

#11 User is offline   Iryoku 

• Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Name: Iryoku
  • Server: Quetzalcoatl
  • Jobs: PLD99 MNK99 SMN99

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostEsvedium, on 10 March 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

I can't find where in the launcher to change the background resolution for the game. I tried with supersampling both off and on, and while the game looks really good, my laptop can't handle it running with double background resolution (not sure if double, but it looks like it is), so then I'm stuck at ~19fps in my moghouse, standing there naked, not doing anything. I tried changing it in the vanila ffxi config, but that didn't do anything.

I'm also back to getting an error when doing a /shutdown without unloading all my plugins. Not a big deal, just hadn't seen it in a long time while back on 3.4x

The UI only lets you set it to 1x and 2x (Super Sampling On/Off), however you can set the multiplier to any value greater than 0 by editing settings.xml; e.g. if you want it to be 1.5x then add <supersampling>1.5</supersampling> to your profile.

#12 User is offline   Zigerus 

• Trainee
  • Pip
  • Name: Zigerus
  • Server: Fenrir
  • Race: Tarutaru Male

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Love it good work.

When I turn supersampling on it started to hang when loading plugins in FFXI(or hooking I couldn't really tell which.).

Not to sure what other info you need. I do not get an error or anything.

I modified the XML profile with SS 4 and it worked, actually any thing I put in there below 5 worked.

#13 User is offline   Roces 

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

All works really nice for me :D. Btw this is compatible with windows 8?

#14 User is offline   sebyg666 

• Padawan
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

i love it, so far for me everything works perfect, even messed with Xi utils so it loads this windower, works a treat, dont know if its affected pricer tho, also, yarnball doesnt load, says "plugin out of date". if yarnball could be updated to look like this new timers plugin, OH MY GOD i would drewl lol. i do have to say tho, awsome job on the art work and the UI, its beautiful. looks frigin awsome.

#15 User is offline   Roces 

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Just checked that gearcollector doesnt work like in 3.5 he doesnt get my kannagi ^^

#16 User is offline   Ihm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Name: Ihm
  • Server: Siren
  • Jobs: DRG, COR, WHM, THF, SMN
  • Race: Hume Female

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postsebyg666, on 11 March 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

i love it, so far for me everything works perfect, even messed with Xi utils so it loads this windower, works a treat, dont know if its affected pricer tho, also, yarnball doesnt load, says "plugin out of date". if yarnball could be updated to look like this new timers plugin, OH MY GOD i would drewl lol. i do have to say tho, awsome job on the art work and the UI, its beautiful. looks frigin awsome.

You can't copy any plugins from 3.4 into 4, so yarnball is "out of date" and unusable. As you guessed though, it will be part of timers eventually~

#17 User is offline   sebyg666 

• Padawan
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

having some issues with some FFACE apps not working for dualboxing while using new windower. which is odd since if i run one client in 3.4 and one in 4.0 the apps work. just thaught id make people aware of this FFACE clash. I was hoping the timers plugin would work with 3.4, but nada lol. timers is by far my favourite thing on this windower, love it. and the GUI, oh oh oh and the super sampling thing MY LORD the sexyness of the game when that is on.

#18 User is offline   aureus 

• Core Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Pushed out a quick Lua update to make modules and file IO a bit easier.

You can now use the lua_base_path global to get the directory of your addon. It will contain something along the lines of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\addons\<your addon>\".

The LUA_PATH (where lua looks to load modules) global has also been set to include the following paths:
addons\addonName\
addons\libs\

This should make it easier to work with multiple files or shared libraries. For example, let's say you have the following:
addons\myAddon\include1.lua
function foo()
  write("This is an addon module")
end

and
addons\libs\include2.lua
function bar()
  write("This is a shared module")
end

You could then write:
addons\myAddon\myAddon.lua
require "include1"
require "include2"
function event_load()
  foo()
  bar()
end

#19 User is offline   kodoku 

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks a lot! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

#20 User is offline   Knumskull 

• Trainee
  • Pip
  • Name: Knumskull
  • Server: Phoenix
  • Jobs: BRDBLMBSTPLDSAM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

How would i go about to get dualsend to work with this? tried changing the windowerhelper.dll but get errors with that

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users